[MOBY-dev] LSIDs in the ServiceInstance RDF

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 3 12:04:27 UTC 2006

> This is because although we only resolve LSID metadata, we have agreed
> amongst ourselves that it is important for client programs (e.g.
> Dashboard) to know when the metadata has changed.

   Not really. Dasboard uses only what is in the Biomoby central (I do not
know if you call it metadata or not, but I think they are data). You
(Biomoby Central) are an LSID authority, you should change version only if
you chnage things in your database. No one else has right to change it.
   All other data (rather metadata) added or updated by service providers
can be changed - but the LSID stays - so users can call getMetadata()  and
get an updated versionb, but they always get the same version when they
call getData() (or when they call registry - which is what Dashboard
does).
   I do not understand where is the problem. Our situation seems to be a
typical situation as described by the LSID spec: You provide a new LSID
version if there is a chnage at your side (meaning: in registry), anybody
else (like a service provider) updates and provides metadata.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com