[MOBY-dev] RFC: jMoby will start using Java 1.5. from June 30, 2006

Stian Soiland ssoiland at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue May 2 08:32:55 UTC 2006

Martin Senger wrote:
> Eddie, how is going your Taverna 1.5.enquiries? It seems that we may make
> a tag 1.4, and start to use 1.5 when you give us a green light. Don't
> worry, however, it does not need to be *now*.

To quote myself from taverna-hackers list following Eddie's request there:

Edward Kawas wrote:
> [...]

We are aware that jMoby will switch to java 1.5, and it is one of our
arguments against ourself on why we should switch to java 1.5 as a whole.

http://twiki.mygrid.org.uk/twiki/bin/view/Mygrid/JavaFiveOMII

Will the old jmoby.jar stop working? When? We have a large installed
user base of Taverna probably running with Java 1.4.

>From this you can conclude that, yes, it's OK for Taverna that you are
moving to Java5, we want to do the same, but we are gathering momentum
for  doing the change. Our 2.0 development will be based on Java5.

However, I do sincerely hope that the old jMoby libraries don't just
stop working from June 30th, because there's a big base of installed
Tavernas out there, and we might not want to bump to Java5 for the next
minor release of Taverna.

--
Stian Soiland
School of Computer Science