[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's + vote on RFC 1913 & 1914

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 16:21:16 UTC 2006

> So long as the time zone on your computer is set correctly

   It has nothing to do with my computer - because you and me have
different timezone on our computers, but we do not know what time zones we
are using.
   Just make sure that what you (meaning: your software) put in the
version is always well defined (e.g. for elapsed time, use always UTC, for
your formatted string put 'Z' and your current - and correct - zone).

> What concerns me is that we're pulling our hair

   ...c'mon, Mark, this is a trivial issue. Why are you still arguing
about it?

> a number that has some enormous degree of precision when in fact we cannot
> rely on it anyway

   ...of course, we can (and we want). Perhaps I don't understand your
problem...

> and moreover, we shouldn't even be parsing it out of the string in the
> first place...

   ...that's a low argument. LSID is not a dogma. It is here to help
us. Last time I am saying: why not to put there a meaning if it is free
and useful.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)