[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: registering INB services in Canada

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Dec 14 22:45:00 UTC 2006

Hi Oswaldo,

I think the most important thing is to thank you for your team's
willingness to contribute to the code-base and the public registry and
ontologies.  It is greatly appreciated, as are all of the INB
contributions!

I have no doubt at all that your registry works far better than the
public one because it has been hand-curated and carefully controlled
from the outset.  I think that, for academic interest, the chaos of the
public registry and ontologies has been interesting to observe, since
one of the major research questions of my laboratory is "can a useful
ontology arise through a completely open and non-curated process"[1].
Economically we adopted a non-curated approach because our original
development budget was barely enough to get the project off the ground
at all.  And finally philosophically the public registry has a "laissez
faire" attitude towards what we allow people to register in it, because
we specifically avoid telling people what data-types, service types,
etc. they should use in order to be as open as possible to all
participants.

Nevertheless, as you correctly point out, and a variety of us have noted
several times on the discussion list, this makes the public registry an
uncomfortably "wild" place to do any real work!  The various projects
who have set-up independent registries have all handled this in
different ways.  The PlaNet project registered data-types in their local
registry as well as in the public one on an ongoing basis in order to
keep their ontologies as synchronized as possible with the public ones;
the GCP project created a "branch" of the public ontology (the GCP_*
Objects) containing several structurally identical or semantically
similar objects to those in other parts of the public ontology, but in a
hierarchy that was specifically meaningful and useful to them; and the
INB created it's own ontologies  entirely from scratch.  Of these
approaches, only the PlaNet approach retained true interoperability with
those outside of their own project.  This is not a criticism of any
approach, it is simply an observation that the concept of "ontology
sharing" is critical to the functionality of MOBY (the question of
whether the shared public ontology is "good" or "not good" is an
entirely different story...)

The issue of how to re-integrate two forked copies of the ontology is,
therefore, a very complex one, since none of our software is currently
prepared to deal with this problem in any automated way, and automated
ontology-alignment is still largely wishful thinking anyway [2].  It is
undesirable for the INB to have to re-code their services since this is
extra work, and it is similarly undesirable (in fact, more or less
impossible) for us to ask the other public services to re-write their
code to adapt to the INB objects, even if they are "better".

Short-term, I honestly don't see a straightforward solution to the
problem for every case.  Obviously the objects that can be registered in
the public ontology without naming clashes can be registered there
whenever you wish.  However, for those that have identical names...??  I
guess the first step would be to check if the objects in the public
registry are being used at all.  If they are not, then you are welcome
to de-register them as per the API.  Second, you could check if the
services that use that object are functional.  At the moment, about 15%
of the services in the public registry are non-functional [3].  If a
service is non-functional, you could contact the provider and ask if
they are still maintaining the service at all, and if not, ask them to
de-register the service such that you can de-register the objects that
it uses.  Finally, if there were only one or two services that use the
object you wish to remove, you could ask them if they would be willing
to change their service to adopt your new object.  They may say no, of
course, but... you could ask :-)

Longer-term, we might be able to solve this problem at the level of XML
namespaces (i.e. identify which of the two ontologies the object came
from based on its XML namespace); however as I said, none of the code
currently can handle this situation, so it isn't a solution in the
short-term, and moreover I would much prefer to see the project move
toward an RDF-based data representation system versus continuing to
develop code for and refine the existing custom-MOBY-XML standard.  If
we plan to support multiple ontologies in the future, I think it would
make more sense to do so under one of the W3C ontology standards versus
invest more resources in making the current MOBY "standard" do what
these other standards can already do (to some limited extent...)

So... I honestly don't have a suggestion that solves all of the problems
without requiring someone to do some re-coding of their services.  I
guess this is what I said in my original response, but it seems to have
caused some offense, so I hope this more verbose response is less
controversial.

Regardless, any contribution your team is willing to make is always
welcome and appreciated,

Best wishes,

Mark

[1] http://helix-web.stanford.edu/psb06/good.pdf