[MOBY-dev] registering INB services in Canada

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Sun Dec 10 15:57:59 UTC 2006

On  10 Dec 2006, at 14:08, Martin Senger wrote:

>> I don't see anyone else responding to this so far.
>

> Well, I have not replied because I did not know how to say politely
> "what
> you are asking for sucks" :-). I am 100% with you -  we either
> share or we
> are dead.

I agree. This sounds to me like the same problem which occurs when
people find out someone else has already registered their favorite
internet domain name: too bad you are too late! BioMOBY works only
well if we share the same ontology which works with a first come,
first registered policy.

On the other hand the idea of a manually curated ontology does not
sound bad too me. Surely it causes extra work, but lets look at the
past. There are many biological concepts that were first labeled more
or less at random causing a big mess with synonyms, homonyms, etc.
Later on standardization committees were appointed to clean up the
ambiguity. It happened to species names, genes, proteins, chemical
compounds, you name it... Groups like HUGO are doing a fine job, but
especially gene and protein names are still a disaster for data- and
text-mining software. Maybe we should have started curating the
ontology yesterday...

So I like the idea of manually curating the ontology (and I volunteer
for some of the work that might cause), but I would have liked the
idea even more if the people at INB would have made it a community
effort from the start :).

Cheers,

Pi

> Martin
>

> --
> Martin Senger
>    email: martin.senger at gmail.com
>    skype: martinsenger

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1038
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen