[MOBY-dev] registering INB services in Canada

Natalia Jimenez Lozano natalia.jimenez at pcm.uam.es
Thu Dec 7 11:04:47 UTC 2006

Hi,

I would like to open a discussion about ontologies. I belong to the INB
where we have currently a lot of working services. We would like to
register all of our services in Canada but due to the differences
between both ontologies (Canada and Spain), we could ran into the
following problems:

a) Identical objects (objects that share the same name and the same
hierarchy): in this case there would be no problem using the object
previously registered in Canada.

b) Analogous objects (objects that share the same name but different
hierarchy): it would be possible to register in Canada the object with
the same name but different hierarchy? If it would be possible we would
be "breaking" the Canadian ontology :-(

Some examples of this situation can be easily found:

    b.1. NCBI_BLAST_Text: in Spanish ontology, this object is a son of
text_formatted node but in Canadian ontology is a son of BLAST-Report
that is at the same time a son of Sequence_alignment_report.
    b.2. There is a lot of common objects like Clustalw_Evaluated_Text,
FASTA, GFF ..., etc which only difference is their depencency: in
Canadian ontology, these objects are depending on text-formatted node
but in the Spanish ontology on text_formatted (the only difference is
hyphen/underscore!).

c) Similar objects (different name -similar, upper-case/lower case,
underscore/hyphen- and/or different hierarchy but same meaning): to fit
to this last situation, we have several options:

    - To register INB objects -> this would not "break" the Canadian
ontology but would "blur" it.
    - To adjust each one of the INB services to the Canadian ontology ->
This would mean the modification of the code of each one of the services
and it would require an extra work.
    - To modify INB ontology to adjust to Canadian ontology -> This
would be a thorny issue because since INB beginnings we have work very
hard in this sense. Even we organized an ontology committee to give
advise on each new object to be registered. Moreover, few months ago we
restructured our ontology with the aim of removing inconsistencies. In
my opinion, we have currently a very solid ontology.

Suggestions about how to register INB services in a easily and not
damaging way?
Thank you very much in advance,
Regards,
Natalia