[MOBY-dev] PlaNet registry shutdown

Dirk Haase d.haase at gsf.de
Tue Dec 5 15:10:25 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'd like to announce that the PlaNet Moby Central at MIPS is very soon to shut
down. The reasons are very simple: PlaNet ran out in 2005 and maintenance of
a registry costs time - which is not funded anymore. This already led to
limited functionality, the LSID resolver was never set up which made it
unusable in Taverna.

I tried to convince maintainers of PlaNet exclusive services to move their
stuff to Canada and was somehow successful. So hardly any (working) service
will get lost for the community.

This message is mainly for those who run clients which may access PlaNet
central. Please remove any pointers to
http://mips.gsf.de/cgi-bin/proj/planet/moby/MOBY-Central.pl from your
applications. I guess by Christmas requests on this URL will result in a 404.

Of course, this has no effect on the PlaNet portal which will still be
available under http://mips.gsf.de/projects/plants/PlaNetPortal/

Thanks and regards,
dirk

PS: sorry if you received this twice, there were some problems when I first
sent it...