[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY Asynchronous Service Call Proposal v2.2 - <wsa:Action> tag missing for GetResourceProperty requests

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 23:21:15 UTC 2006

Sorry, I was not able to read the new proposal when it came. I am still not
able to read it in all details (I am traveling and will be actually
completely off-line next two weeks) - but I think that the proposal is fine
and I would for with it. Thanks for creating it.

Just two comments:

I agree that storing the fact that a service is able to be called
asynchronously should be part of the service registration process. That
would simplify everything. But I do not fully understand why it cannot be
done only by registering a service with a new category (moby-async, as
suggested). Why do we need a new boolean parameter for it? Why do we need
'hasCallingDetail" - here again a new category should be enough. What am I
missing?

The second comment is more or less political (and I do not mean it as an
argument against your proposal, I like your proposal):

So far, the BioMoby did not use anything from the web services protocol.
Well, the registry generated WSDL but this WSDL was not that useful. Which
lead me recently to the idea that the new BioMoby (sometimes called Moby2)
may abandon the SOAP completely, and to stick with the REST architecture.
Mainly because of better future collaboration with the S-Moby (the semantic
guys in Sante Fe will never accept SOAP - my personal feeling). So now going
actually closer to the web services standards may again put us further from
them.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com