[MOBY-dev] RFC #1863 Error Handling in MOBY-S -- Vote Called

Gibbons, Francis francis_gibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 28 01:27:53 UTC 2005

   4) The proposal is not clear how to integrate new XML tags in
serviceNotes with the current usage of serviceNotes. The current usage is
a free text: should this free text be expected before, or after the
exception code? Should it be there either exception tags or classic notes
text? This would be the only place in Biomoby API with XML-mixed element,
so it needs to be clarified, an example showing all possibilities would be
beneficial.

Martin, I wonder if the Provision Information Block (PIB) would make a more appropriate home for this XML content. As I understand if (from very brief conversation with Mark) it is not used right now (at least in the Perl API, though perhaps it's used in the Java version).  The current API has this to say about PIB: http://www.biomoby.org/twiki/bin//view/Moby/MobySAPI#Provision

Specifially PIB was intended to provide XML-encoded metadata about the service, and maybe there's a good reason to restrict it to that. I do agree that mixing free text with XML (or having the content be ambiguous) would be tricky, and should be avoided if possible. Perhaps this is a way around that particular issue.

-Frank