[personal] Re: [MOBY-dev] [RFC] Exception Reporting in bioMOBYv1.5 - INB proposal

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 11:06:28 UTC 2005

> corresponding DBMS. The input to the service is a Simple representing a
> protein, while the output is a Collection with all possible interactions
> where that protein is participating.

   This is a good example because it nicely illustrates what Mark said,
and not a need for naming Simples in a Collection (IMHO) :-) :

   1) First, you cannot have a service that can return *all* protein
interactions. Such service is a sci-fi. So you go for "all possible"
protein interactions. Well, but when a DBMS source is not available, its
interactions are "not possible".
   2) Also, you do not know what interactions *would* be found in the
non-responding DBMS, so you cannot create any Simple representing such
non-returned interactions.
   3) And last, you can still inform the users about not covering all my
resources (this time) in a general warning in mobyException - but there is
really no sense to put this warniong in a collection itself.

   I must admit that I have not paid much attention to this topic when it
was explained in Malage. Because now, I really do not see why we need it.
(I hate to agree to much with Mark, it's dangerous because it is addictive
:-)).

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)