[MOBY-dev] Martin's comments on the MOBY API docs

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 14:31:05 UTC 2005

> If this API is to language-independent, then I'm not so sure we can talk
> about objects

   Oh no, no, that's a misunderstanding. Sorry for the confusion. I would
be the first who would shout "Long Live Language Independence!". I said
"query object" because this term is used in the current API. But I meant
the XML, of course.

> Well, this is marked as 'deprecated' in the wiki, hence it is so marked
> here too.

   I understand. It was more to Mark. Just to record my concern and fear
that Mark can one day remove it and say "what are you complaining about,
it was deprecated already for years?". I am quite often scare what Mark
can do suddenly... (well, I wanted to add :-) but I found that it was not
a joke, after all).

> >    * retrieveResourceURLs has a wrong description (something about providers)
>
> I think is still under development - Mark?

   Not as far I know. I have it already implemented in jMoby and it worked
(about a month ago). The only thing stull under discussion was the content
type of this resources (if to provide more or not). And also a clear
definition what is expected from the service providers when they suddenly
become the LSID metadata resolvers.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)