[MOBY-dev] RFC #1863 - change request & question

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Mon Oct 17 16:25:36 UTC 2005

I have only a couple of suggestions, but I think they may be important:

1. I have a problem with callling all of this Error Handling and having
the tag called mobyException, when this mechanism includes not only
errors, but also non-fatal warnings and simple information blocks.
Perhaps we should call it Execution Status Reporting or something like that?

2. Under "Service Intrinsic Errors", the footnote for 701 states that
Blast reporting "No hits found" is a SERVICE_INTERNAL_ERROR.  Why is
getting no hits an error?  Isn't it just a blank response?  If I'm
designing a sequencing oligo and am checking my oligo against my cloning
vector sequence, I want no hits!  A MOBY-aware program may see it as an
error instead of a response to report...

3. Could we add a few codes to the 700 series
    "700 OK" (pretty obvious: everything was okay, but we want to
provide a formatted  info block in the response)
    "703 Data no longer valid" (once upon a time the data was valid, but
no longer: a sequence identifier that has been retracted, a job ticket
that is stale, etc.)
    "704 input invalid" (somehow you escaped the 200 series errors
because it is MOBY-correct input, but biologically the input doesn't
make sense e.g. an EC number is an object with a String, and that's what
you gave us, but the string is HelloWorld, which is not of the form #.#.#.#)
    "705 data transformed" (e.g. warning: non-DNA chars ignored in DNA
search)

My CAN$0.02,

Paul