[MOBY-dev] deregistration of one service deletes many other services!

Rebecca Ernst rebecca.ernst at gsf.de
Mon Dec 12 16:07:11 UTC 2005

Hi Mark!

finally I found the problem which killed most of the Planet Central
registry!

The symptom was this: when I ran the registration skript aiming to
delete one (named!) service I ended up with about 140 services deleted
and only 24 left in the registry. So I had a look at the database (table
service_instance)  and compared the services which were left compared to
the ones that were deleted.
It turned out that the ones left had a lsid whereas the ones that were
deleted had no lsid.
I am currently updating all service_instances by hand nevertheless I
think it is worth changing the call so it leaves the other services
where they are. I think the call should only affect the service I
explicitly named.
I could imagine that other people also have old registries where the
service_instances do not contain lsids. In my case a lucky accident
caused that I made a database dump one day before this happend :-) ,
otherwise many services would have been lost forever.

Cheers,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Ernst