[MOBY-dev] what are services LSIDs good for?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 17:03:00 UTC 2005

Tom,
   No, Tom, I disagree. There is no reason why abstract term/entities
could not have a real data associated. And I gave a good reason how I
would use such data. A "service instance" (an unfortunate name of a
service fingerprint in a registry invented by a bilogist) is a real object
in a registry, and I am asking to give LSID data to reflect the fact that
it is important and useful to know whether such object in registry
changed or not.
   Of course, and you are right, that the same can be achieved from
metadata. But it would mean that if I need information about all services,
I would need to go to all service providers (because they act as LSID
metadata resolvers) - and not just to one place where this information is
already stored. And, to be fair, where the API for such simple task is
easy enough.
   As long as we have a central registry (and everytime I listen to Mark I
have feeling that he is going as much as possible not to have it :-)) why
not to use it efficiently for what it was designed (this time the same
biologist had luckier hand).

   Nice to hear again from you,

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)