[MOBY-dev] Migration of database to new API

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 00:53:22 UTC 2005

> b)  creates a new object called OldObjectName_v2

   But then there will be a need in the future for yet another change from
OldObjectName_v2 back to OldObjectName_v2. So I do not understand fully
why not to change it (a) either under the OldObjectName directly, or (b)
keep it as it is and let people change it in two months and after that
simply remove them.

> At present, this script only goes down one level of the object
> hierarchy, and does not explicitly deprecate, nor create new object
> types for, any children of now deprecated objects, nor for any objects
> that contain a deprecated object  Q1:  Should it do so

   I think that any change that goes only half-ways will confuse people
and programs as well. Make it all, or make it none, would be my
suggestion.

> going to create mass confusion for people?   Q2:  How long should the
> deprecation period be before we refuse to support the old objects any
> longer?

   Two months seem okay (but I do not have any services so my voice is not
important here).

> For case 2, I have not yet written a script.  I am loathe to change
> people's service registrations at all!

    As I said above: don't do it. Just let them know if they do not do it
in a given period, you will remove their registration. The same I would
prefer with objects (but as I sais it is not really my cup of tee).

> who have hundreds of services registered (e.g. soaplab)

   Don't worry about soaplab. None such service was/is and will be
(afaik) running. It was registered by a student who is not anymore working
on the soaplab2moby project.

> This is going to be a painful API change no matter how we play it

   So why not to make the changes regarding the error-handling in the same
time?

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)