[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] how to handle errors in a biomoby service?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 24 15:44:33 UTC 2005

> If you read my earlier comments

   I always read your comments...

> I have already refused to make these decisions - the are better left
> to people who have thought extensively about them.

   That's nonsense. Sorry, Mark, but you put us into this mess because you
had no time, mood or funding to make the error handling properly in the
first place. Also, the current API - that does not define fully what "an
empty result" means - is surely something you could /should think about
it, and not let it completely on decision on other people.

   I am happy to discuss it, but at the end it will surely require changes
in your code (perhaps not so much in registry, but surely in the library
for service providers). So without your commitment to this topic it seems
a bit of waste of time...

   The problem is not that you *have* to participate on every decision -
but the problem is that we do not have (still) a procedure how to make
changes in the API. Just "I or Frank will add it to the API" is not a
proper process. And this process, in order to be successful, must be
discussed with you as a PI and project manager.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)