[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] how to handle errors in a biomoby service?

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Aug 16 16:21:23 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for writing this up so clearly!  I agree 100% that the current
error-reporting system in BioMOBY is insufficient (it was never part of
the initial proposal, and even that initial proposal was cut by 80%,
so...)

I am a bit wary of two aspects of the solution you propose, though I
need more time to think about exactly why they make me nervous:

1)  Mixing metadata (errors) into the data seems... well... wrong
somehow.  I would prefer a solution that somehow used the serviceNotes
block as the place to put error messages, and added an attribute to teh
mobyData, Collection, or Simple tags that Xref'ed a node in the
serviceNotes block.  I wasn't in Malaga for the discussion, so perhaps
there is a strong argument for putting it there that I am unaware of?

2)  overloading the articleName attribute in the Simple/Collection tag
(and especially in the case where Simples are part of a Collection)
would then give **three** different "meanings" to the articleName
attribute!!  It's bad enough that we already have two different uses for
that attribute... I'm reluctant to add one more to the fray! :-)  Let's
create a new attribute instead of adding a new meaning to an existing
one.

I hope others will participate in this discussion - it's been pretty
quiet out there!  I have not thought deeply about error reporting, and I
would prefer to leave the final decision to people who *have* thought
deeply about it.  I am perfectly happy to simply sign-off on whatever
the expert group decides - I really do not want to be the arbiter of the
final decision in this matter because I just don't have the full scope
of the problem in my head!  I am happy, however, to participate in the
overall debate leading up to that decision.

"Ontologists do it with the edges!"

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Medical Genetics