[MOBY-dev] a bug in expandXXX tags?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue May 18 10:13:32 UTC 2004

Hi Mark,
   Working on findService method (in Java's MobyCmdLineClient) I found
that there might be perhaps a bug when using expandXXX tags:

   1) This query object:

<findService><inputObjects>
<Input>
</Input>
</inputObjects>
<outputObjects>
<Output>
</Output>
</outputObjects>
<serviceType>Service</serviceType>
<Category>moby</Category>
<authURI></authURI>
<expandObjects>1</expandObjects>
<expandServices>1</expandServices>
<authoritative>0</authoritative>
<keywords>
</keywords>
</findService>

   did not find any services. I thought that serviceType 'Service' is
parent of all service types, and because I put 'expandService@ to 1, I
expect to find all services. The API says "this flag will cause MOBY
Central to traverse the Service ontology and discover services that are
child types (more specific) than the Service-type you requested."

   2) Regarding the 'expandObjects' flag, it seems to work fine with
inputs but does not seem to work with outputs. This query object:

findService><inputObjects>
<Input>
</Input>
</inputObjects>
<outputObjects>
<Output>
<Simple articleName="dummy">
<objectType>SchematikonVorocodeName</objectType>
</Simple>
</Output>
</outputObjects>
<serviceType></serviceType>
<Category>moby</Category>
<authURI></authURI>
<expandObjects>1</expandObjects>
<expandServices>1</expandServices>
<authoritative>0</authoritative>
<keywords>
</keywords>
</findService>

   found only RetrieveVorocodeName service but not the services "that
operate not only on the Object Class you are querying, but also any
ontolological parent types of that Object Class" - see that
'expandObjects' is set to 1.

   Are these bugs or my misunderstandings?
   Thanks,

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger