[MISC] Re: [MOBY-dev] Sesame?

Andrew D. Farmer adf at ncgr.org
Wed Jun 30 23:28:48 UTC 2004

> Do you have a feeling for how it compares to Jena v.v. speed and
> features?  From the paper they are describing it as "Jena plus", but
> there may be features in Jena that are more powerful...??

When was the paper written? I seem to recall that at the time I was looking
at sesame, jena was a fairly bare-bones api for rdf manipulation (I don't think
at that time it supported persistance to an rdbms), but since then it seems to
have flourished in many directions.

My impression is that Jena is better designed for pluggable
implementations of things like inference and persistance than sesame. OTOH,
I think at this point sesame may still support a greater variety of query
languages than does jena, and comes complete with a easy-to-use servlet
interface for admin and query/browse of datastores.

Gary knows much more about jena than I do, and might be able to give you more
detailed info.

Jena appears to have a larger active development community, which is no
small consideration...

Andrew Farmer
adf at ncgr.org
(505) 995-4464
Database Administrator/Software Developer
National Center for Genome Resources

---
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -
Bertrand Russell
---