[MOBY-dev] Sesame?

Andrew D. Farmer adf at ncgr.org
Wed Jun 30 21:41:47 UTC 2004

Hi Mark-
I did some experimenting with Sesame for a bit when I was more actively involved;
it seemed to be a reasonably robust system in terms of supporting persistance
and querying; IIRC, it uses a forward-chaining type strategy for inference,
such that whenever a new statement is added to the model, it will attempt
to infer all consequences of that new statement in conjunction with its
current knowledge base, but I think its rules of inference were relatively
simple- transitive closure over subtypes, and that sort of thing; depending
on how intelligent you imagine the ontologies will need to be vis-a-vis
dynamic classification (some of the things I think Simon and Phil have
discussed in the past), you may not get the inferencing power you want from
Sesame- but I suppose you could put a more powerful inference engine as a
front end for updates and then use sesame as a persistance and query mechanism,
or something like that.

HTH

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> has anyone got experience with Sesame?  I'm reading their paper and it
> sounds too good to be true w.r.t. future plans of moving MOBY Central &
> the MOBY Ontologies to a pure RDF representation...  I'd be interested
> to hear other's experience with it!

Andrew Farmer
adf at ncgr.org
(505) 995-4464
Database Administrator/Software Developer
National Center for Genome Resources

---
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always
so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. -
Bertrand Russell
---