[MOBY-dev] Re: Service Ontology developments

Phillip Lord p.lord at russet.org.uk
Tue Apr 20 09:09:00 UTC 2004

  Simon> Hi Phil,

  Simon> Many thanks for your excellent comments. Im in agreement with
  Simon> you on the issue of using the MyGrid ontology, I think the
  Simon> hope would be that we could use branches of it or establish
  Simon> mappings between appropriate parts of MOBY and MyGrid
  Simon> ontologies so that the two systems could talk each other's
  Simon> language where appropriate. Definitions for the MyGrid
  Simon> ontology would be really nice - do they live somewhere that I
  Simon> can find them?

DAML+OIL definitions yes; they are in the ontology. But English ones,
sadly, no.

Mappings are one way forward. Another way would be to use the (richer)
mygrid ontology, appropriately marked up, to generate out the moby
style ontology. This would also leave the mygrid ontology in a good
place for s-moby to use it. Our ontology would form the basis of a
"middle ontology"; describing all the core concepts of services in the
domain, s-moby would make it more complicated with the concrete
datatypes that they need, and moby-s would take a subset of it.

  Simon> I look forward to any other thoughts you have on the
  Simon> structure so far.

Will do.

Phil