[MOBY-dev] questions (mostly) on service invocation

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 17:06:32 UTC 2003

Mark et al,
   I am slowly getting into understanding what was discussed on the last
Moby meeting about service invocations. Please be patient with me... I am
working now on the Java API of the service invocation - and I need some
answers.

   1) I understand that there are two usages for the tag <Simple>. It is
used once when one registers a service by Moby Central. And there is
another one that is used in the service invocation. The former contains
definition of data type, the latter contain a run-time value (of this
type). i think that it would be much clearer if we use different tags -
for example <Simple> and <SimpleValue>.
   The same applies for collections.
   Is my understanding correct?

   2) The same as above applies also to the secondary parameters. but in
this case it is worse because the API does not define (at least I have not
found it) what is the structure of the tag "secondaryParameters" (the tag
used in run-time to carry value/values of the secondary parameters).

   3) Finally, I had to mis a lot - but I do not understand why all those
sample (XML) objects in the API table of the hypotetical examples do not
have any names (or article names). For example, how one can distringuish
between two Strings in the GO_Term object?

   Thanks for your help and patience,

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger