[MOBY-dev] Re: [MOBY] join operations

M.Nedim Alpdemir alpdemim at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 19:48:51 UTC 2003

Hello everyone,

see comments inline..

>  Mark> Hi Ken,
>
>  Mark> A bit of a rambling response... as it is 10:00Pm on my last
>  Mark> day of work (Phil L. knows exactly what this means ;-) )
>
>  Mark> I'm c.c'ing this response to the moby-dev list because I think
>  Mark> it jarrs a lot of nerves that need to be jarred...
>
>  Mark> I have a big smile on my face right now... not because I have
>  Mark> an answer, but because I *don't* have an answer and wish I did
>  Mark> (or more importantly, insist that the final MOBY spec does!).;
>
>  Mark> At the moment MOBY handles *only* queries of the type:
>
>  Mark> (discover, and) select n from foreignservicen where value=x
>
>  Mark> I can't state strongly enough how crappy MOBY is at solving
>  Mark> any more complex problem than that!
>

>There are two basic problems that Ken seems to be raising. First, if I
>want to combine the results of two services, that is perform a join
>operation, then how do I do this? In generally this should not be too
>hard. All you need is some method for checking equality of data
>returned, which in this case is proteins, or more likely protein
>identifiers.
>
>The second problem, which is much more complex, is how to do this
>efficiently. There are various speed ups that can be performed (like
>doing the join on the remote machine, or more generally ensuring that
>the query is performed so that the smallest amount of  data transfer
>takes place.
>
>We do have people working on this, within mygrid, and I've cc: this
>reply to at least one of them!

Yes, we are working on a service-based distributed query processor (DQP),
which, along with integrating distributed data sources, it can also
integrate data from a call to a web (or grid) service. The DQP relies on
Open Grid Services Architecture (OGSA) and OGSA-DataAccess and Integration
(OGSA-DAI) framework as the underlying platforms. The prototype is due for
release in July 2003. We are aiming to handle much more complex queries than
you (Mark)describe above. If you are interested in more detail you can have
a look our design document in MyGrid Twiki at the following url:

http://phoebus.cs.man.ac.uk/twiki/pub/Mygrid/DistributedQueryProcessor/OGSA-
DAi_GDQSDesignv0.2.pdf

Nedim.