[MOBY-dev] Welcome to moby-dev

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon Dec 2 14:25:48 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

I just subscribed those who were on the existing "dev" mailing list who
had not yet subscribed, along with a couple of others whose arms I
wanted to twist (hi Jason & Carole!).  As others appear I will announce
them.

Since this is intended as a core-developers list, (and since most of you
will know the open-bio mailing list admin password in any case) I think
it is not inappropriate for me to announce who is subscribed currently
so that we all know who's out there  (by project/institute)

BioMOBY - Genome Canada support
	Mark Wilkinson - PBI/NRC
	Boris Steipe - U of Toronto

BioMOBY - NSF support
	Damian Gessler - NCGR
	Andrew Farmer - NCGR
	Lincoln Stein - CSHL
	Fiona Cunningham - CSHL
	Shuly Avraham - CSHL

OpenInformatics
	Jason Stewart

San Diego Supercomputing Center
	Ken Stuebe

GridIR - University of Cardiff
	Shalil Majithia

myGrid
	Carole Gobel - U Manchester

  It is my understanding from Lincoln's request for this group that
there was a perceived need for a more "core" developers mailing list,
particularly given that postings on the moby-l list tend to go unread
for days or weeks at a time.  It seems "safer" and more appropriate to
target the key people with meeting announcements if only so these
announcements wont get lost in the shuffle.  For those of you quick out
of the gate in signing up for this list, I'm attaching the "blurb" that
is now sent to new subscribers so that you can see it.  Let me know if
it fits with your understanding of what this group is for:

"This group is primarily aimed at the core BioMOBY developers (you can
decide for yourself if this means you) to organize things like
teleconferences, meetings, funding milestones, distribution of wealth,
and other such matters.  Hopefully, little if any discussion about code
or architecture will happen in this group. "

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae dot com