[GSoC] GSoC and SciRuby (was: Re: Project Proposal for Google Summer of Code)

John Woods john.woods at marcottelab.org
Tue Mar 3 18:03:23 UTC 2015

I can't help with the Py projects, but if there are any Ruby projects, it's
possible SciRuby can adopt them. (Please consider this an invitation.)

Here are some basic criteria:

   - *Project ideas should have an immediate user.* I don't think we should
   be writing code as part of GSoC that someone isn't going to be making use
   of for research *right now*. I want our students to be able to get
   feedback from users, not just reviewers.
   - *Project ideas should be infrastructure-related.* It's okay if they're
   biological rather than general science, but there should be a general
   application to the work. In other words, don't just write a sequencing
   pipeline. Write a general-purpose pipeline with a sequencing example
   application. Or better yet, have the student write the general pipeline,
   and have the mentor write the biological application — this way the student
   is getting feedback from an actual user.
   - *Project ideas must have a mentor. *We never have enough mentors.
   Mentors must be involved enough to post the idea on the page and must be
   involved in reviewing students. Unresponsive mentors will be dropped along
   with their projects.

Here is our ideas page, where you may post your idea:
https://github.com/SciRuby/sciruby/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2015-Ideas

Please especially note the part about "Recommended skills"
<https://github.com/SciRuby/sciruby/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2015-Ideas#note-about-recommended-skills>
before
you write up your idea.

We're especially interested in getting some female mentors involved, but
the approach we used last year didn't work.

John