[GSoC] OBF & GSoC 2015

Raoul J P Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Tue Mar 3 08:30:43 UTC 2015

Dear All,

we got the formal communication that Open Bioinformatics Foundation
(OBF) has not been accepted for the Google Summer of Code 2015.

We can still participate migrating some of our projects to other
organizations, I encourage every mentor to explore the list of accepted
organizations [1] and directly contact them. Please let us know and
we'll try to help if possible.
We are in touch with a friend organization so we'll try to migrate some
project to Ruby Science Foundation [2].
Other organizations with bioinformatics as keyword are Department of
Biomedical Informatics, Stony Brook University [3], OncoBlocks[4],
University of Nebraska - Helikar Lab [5]. Other organizations related to
sciences are ASCEND [6] , BRL-CAD [7], Debian Project [8] , HPCC
Systems® [9] , International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility [10]
, lmonade: scientific software distribution [11] , OSGeo - Open Source
Geospatial Foundation [12], The Concord Consortium [13], The
Visualization Toolkit [14]. Languages: Python [15], Scala [16], Apache
Foundation [17].
Last but not least : Global Alliance for Genomics & Health [18]

It is always complicated to understand why an organization has not been
accepted and there are many reasons, many orgs are applying every year
and they tend to introduce fresh air. There are no specific comments
from Google. We'll dissect every aspect and activities to better
understand and improve our presence for the next year.

In the mean time, find an host org for our projects and participate to
GSoC 2015.

[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2015

[2] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/sciruby,
https://github.com/SciRuby/sciruby/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-2015-Ideas