[GSoC] GSoC 2014 wrap-up: Final evaluations and code submission

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 17:11:13 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

This Monday, August 18, marks the official end of Google Summer of Code
2014. Students and mentors, your only task next week is to fill out final
evaluations on Google Melange and submit the form by August 22, 19:00 UTC:
https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014

Students: After evaluations are complete, Google asks that you to submit a
copy of all the code you wrote this summer. (This is for their own
legal/tax purposes, and is not meant to be the way you distribute your code
to users, so you don't need to go to any extra effort to make this code
snapshot usable.) The code submission guidelines are here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/codeguidelines

To collect this code snapshot, I recommend:

- If you developed in a new repository, just submit that codebase.
- If all of your code is in a new subdirectory within an existing codebase,
just submit that subdirectory. (It doesn't need to run on its own.)
- If your code is in a Git fork or branch of an existing project,
potentially intermingled with commits from other developers (e.g.
Biopython), you can extract your commits like this:
    git format-patch --find-renames -o ${out_dir}
${upstream}..${your_branch}

e.g. if you developed on a branch GSOC2014:
    git format-patch --find-renames -o gsoc2014_submission/ master..GSOC2014

Then tar+gz or zip that directory, give it an appropriate name, and upload
it to your project in Melange according to the instructions linked above.

You can continue working on your projects after Monday, and I hope you do
continue to be involved, but for GSoC 2014 purposes your coding ends Monday.

Thank you all for participating, I hope you enjoyed the experience.

All the best,
Eric & Raoul