[GSoC] Proposal: rewrite the BioRuby web console and propose a flexible web hosting for online demo

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Tue Mar 18 13:33:31 UTC 2014

Dear Anna,
welcome, this could be an interesting and cross proposal if we consider:
1) SciRuby is working a "similar" idea https://github.com/SciRuby/sciruby/wiki/GSOC-2014%3A-Ruby-Notebook and some reference https://github.com/minad/iruby
2) We could have a specific web environment for biinformatics using biojs components and possible reusing tools/features developed from http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#bionode_-_A_Node.js_JavaScript_library_for_client_and_server_side_bioinformatics
https://github.com/biojs/biojs
3) when we (bioruby) developed biogems we include the ability to have gems that are also rails engines. this would give you the benefit to create libraries that if used in a web environment can provide UI, controllers, databases etc.. http://www.biogems.info/doc/Tutorial_rdoc.html look for engines

Raoul