[GSoC] Bionode project at GSOC 2014

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Mon Mar 17 14:05:05 UTC 2014

Dear Christoph,
it is very simple, just start,  and maybe create a google document, you could later share that document ONLY with mentors.
I would suggest to not write yet another set of parsers in javascript, as Eric suggested there are very good parsers as external tools

http://samtools.sourceforge.net/tabix.shtml
http://bedtools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

and
http://rubygems.org/gems/bio-maf
http://rubygems.org/gems/bio-gff3
https://github.com/mamarjan/gff3-pltools
https://github.com/lomereiter/sambamba

and I am sure java, python and perl have other outperforming parsers.
I think a great value would come from a clean and nice API.

Consider also the possibility to use JS functions inside NoSQL db like couch there you can write js functions the map/reduce paradigm. Actually I do not know if it possible to call bio javascript functionalities inside the definition of a reduce or map function but I think that would be useful.

Raoul