[GSoC] Student's applications for the Google Summer of Code 2014

Andreas Dräger andraeger at eng.ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 10 19:23:33 UTC 2014

Dear students,

Thank you all for your interest in contributing to the JSBML project via
the Google Summer of Code.

This e-mail is intended to help you write your application for GSoC
before the application submission deadline, March 21st.

First of all, you should familiarize yourself with JSBML:

* The website http://sbml.org/Software/JSBML/Getting_started_with_JSBML
gives you instructions on how to checkout the project from Sourceforge
via SVN and how to set up your project in Eclipse
(https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/). You can contact
jsbml-development at googlegroups.com if you encounter any problems during
this process.

* The User Guide for JSBML (see http://sbml.org/Software/JSBML/docs)
provides some more details about data structures and the organization of
the project.

* In case that you like to do further reading about the goals of the
Systems Biology Markup Language and systems biology in general, you
might also have a look at http://sbml.org.

Once you familiarized yourself with JSBML, identify a few ideas in the
GSoC page (http://sbml.org/GSoC2014) that you are interested in and
contact the mentors of that project to discuss further details. Because
the application process is competitive, we recommend applicants to
contact individual mentors. General questions, however, should be sent
to the public mailing lists (see the recipients of this e-mail).

Project applicants who have discussed ideas of their project with the
mentoring organization have the best chance of being accepted by Google.
For this reason, we encourage you to please contact your potential
mentors and discuss your project application proposal with them.

If you have any specific idea on how your contribution could improve the
project (beyond what is written on the website), this would be very
helpful. We will discuss your potential project plan with the JSBML team
(jsbml-team at caltech.edu).

Finally, many general questions about GSoC are addressed at the GSoC
help page:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2014/help_page.

Good luck and we are looking forward to seeing your applications!
The JSBML team

--
Dr. Andreas Draeger
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0412, USA