[GSoC] GSOC OBF & GMOD

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:34:12 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I would like to suggest these GMOD projects as being suitable for
collaboration with OBF:

= JBrowse: REST daemon for Chado =
http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#JBrowse:_REST_daemon_for_Chado

All of the Bio* core projects are in server-friendly languages, and CHADO
support would likely be a useful component in any of the Bio* libraries.
Has anyone on the GMOD side volunteered to mentor this project?

= Galaxy CloudMan =
http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#Galaxy_CloudMan

The idea itself is very cool. It doesn't directly require new development
on any of the existing Bio* projects, as I understand it, but several of
the Biopython devs in particular are actively using and/or involved with
Galaxy, so we could offer informal support at the very least to students
working on this project. I see the Galaxy core devs have volunteered to
mentor, so students would be taken care of.

= Galaxy Charts and Open Requests =
http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#Galaxy_Charts_and_Open_Requests

Similar rationale. This idea looks flexible enough to accommodate some
other ideas out there.

= WormBase: data visualization =
http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#WormBase:_data_visualization

This is another flexible idea that students can adapt to match their
interests. When you say "some Perl", is that BioPerl, or Wormbase-specific
CGI code? I can envision this project yielding some reusable Javascript
components, too -- has BioJS shown any interest in collaborating?

We have another potential project mentor who has proposed developing a
visualization tool for copy number variation (Toby CC'd here; we'll follow
up on this), and Galaxy Charts, JBrowse or GBrowse might be a good platform
for developing that.

If you agree these ideas are worthy of OBF-ification and the listed mentors
are still interested in seeing these projects through with OBF, I'll copy
the items from GMOD's GSoC ideas page to OBF's equivalent:
http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas

Cheers,
Eric