[GSoC] GSOC project: improve SegAnnDB interactive DNA copy number analysis

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:47:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Toby Hocking <tdhock5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey OBF developers, I am a bioinformatics researcher and long-time
> developeR (admin and mentor for R's participation in GSOC). Using
> JavaScript and Python, I have developed SegAnnDB, a web site for
> visualization and interactive annotation of DNA copy number profiles
> http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/03/bioinformatics.btu072.shortand
> I want to get a GSOC student to implement some improvements. Would it
> be possible for me to propose this as an OBF project and possibly be a
> mentor for GSOC?
>
> I think SegAnnDB fits into the main theme of OBF: writing open-source code
> for analysis and visualization of biological data. The student would need
> to write Python code for the server side and JavaScript code for the web
> client side so I think it would fit best into the "cross-project ideas"
> section.
>
> Anyway, if it is OK with you guys, can please I post my project proposal to
> the OBF GSOC ideas wiki page?

Do you see any natural links to Biopython on the server side (an OBF
project which would be good for the GSoC link) or BioJS on the client
side (not an OBF project, but also participating under GSoC directly)?

See also Leighton's outline Biopython proposal on interactive graphics:
http://biopython.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code#Interactive_GenomeDiagram_Module

Peter