[GSoC] GSOC project: improve SegAnnDB interactive DNA copy number analysis

Toby Hocking tdhock5 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:07:50 UTC 2014

Hey OBF developers, I am a bioinformatics researcher and long-time
developeR (admin and mentor for R's participation in GSOC). Using
JavaScript and Python, I have developed SegAnnDB, a web site for
visualization and interactive annotation of DNA copy number profiles
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/03/bioinformatics.btu072.shortand
I want to get a GSOC student to implement some improvements. Would it
be possible for me to propose this as an OBF project and possibly be a
mentor for GSOC?

I think SegAnnDB fits into the main theme of OBF: writing open-source code
for analysis and visualization of biological data. The student would need
to write Python code for the server side and JavaScript code for the web
client side so I think it would fit best into the "cross-project ideas"
section.

Anyway, if it is OK with you guys, can please I post my project proposal to
the OBF GSOC ideas wiki page?