[GSoC] Host a project from other Bioinformatics Organizations

Raoul Bonnal bonnal at ingm.org
Fri Feb 28 12:08:46 UTC 2014

There were a lot of positive discussions about this topic and I want to summarize few points:

Any bioinformatics organization that is excluded from GSoC 2014 this year can submit to us a short list of their best of projects for GSoC 2014. Please try to adapt you project to OBF philosophy, if you can extract some module or functionality that can be reused or included in a current OBF supported language that would be nice and easy for everyone.  You have to work a bit more but nothing is easy.
All adopted projects will go into the cross project section http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#Cross-project_ideas , connections with obf must be stated clearly or impact for the broad scientific community.
All adopted projects will be formally OBF, hosted orgs will provide mentors, they will be registered as OBF mentors.
OBF mentor can participate into cross project if they have the skills.
Students and mentors must use the obf mailing list (this one) as main communication system, cc to hosted org is recommended to keep the two community aligned but OBF will not be in charge of that.
Every active mentor must vote for every student/project, the final score will be the final one, no matter is the top is an hosted or not project.
Hosted projects will be = to official OBF.
Projects which are not affiliated with any orgs are encouraged to affiliate https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/blob/unratified-drafts/Affiliated-Project-Policy.md
…

I'm not very good in writing formal rules, so pleas discuss and contribute.

I think that if we can expand our view to other orgs , mentoring together and create better tools will be a win win approach for us, newcomers and science in general, a really open approach. I'm very exited !

Raoul