[GSoC] OBF Affiliated Projects

Ashish Agarwal agarwal1975 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 19:41:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>wrote:

Regarding Biocaml, the OBF doesn't yet have a formal project affiliation
> process, but there is a draft here if you have any thoughts on this?
>
> https://github.com/OBF/obf-docs/blob/unratified-drafts/Affiliated-Project-Policy.md

I'm unclear on the difference between Core and Affiliated projects. Core
projects are defined as being more active, but what practical consequence
does this distinction have?

It might help to describe what being an OBF project entails in terms of:
what you get and what you are expected to give. So far I can tell that what
you get is: server resources and publicity. And what you are expected to
give is: some volunteer time, but I'm unsure if it's really required.

One thing I would value is collaboration on cross-language problems, e.g.
standardization of file formats, test suites that any implementation can
use to assure their parser/printers adhere to the standard, etc. I would be
encouraged to seek OBF membership if it enabled such collaborations. (Maybe
it does. I'll be attending BOSC for my first time this year, so take my
comments with that in mind.)