[GSoC] GSOC OBF & GMOD

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:24:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Raoul Jean Pierre Bonnal
<bonnal at ingm.org> wrote:
> Dear All,
> these are the projects selected by GMOD.
> Next step is to "slightly" adapt then into obf and I am sure that we can fit them.

> Galaxy what about extract charts from galaxy and have a biopython module ?

I do quite a bit with Galaxy (and of course Biopython), but as I understand
it the Galaxy visualization framework is dynamic web-browser programming,
with a lot going on within the browser client. Who are the potential mentors
on the GMOD/Galaxy side - we should talk more?

> From Robin (GMOD)
> We have three projects that would like to propose as the "Best of GMOD"
>
> Reactome Pathway Comparison Widget: http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#Pathway_Comparison_Widget
>
> Tripal pedigree viewer: http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#Tripal_Pedigree_Viewer
>
> Galaxy Charts: http://gmod.org/wiki/GSoC#Galaxy_Charts_and_Open_Requests

These all seem to be web-visualisation based:

Pathway Comparison Widget : Java, GWT, HTML5 Canvas, Data visualisation, BioJS
--> Possible link with BioJava?

Tripal Pedigree Viewer: PHP, HTML 5 and Javascript
--> No obvious Bio* link :(

Galaxy Charts and Open Requests: Python, JavaScript, Bash/Linux
--> Possible link with Biopython (see above).

Peter