[GSoC] [OBF-GSoC-Mentors] [GSoC Mentors Announce] Google Summer of Code 2013

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Sun Mar 3 01:21:37 UTC 2013

On Feb 28, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Pjotr Prins wrote:

> I volunteer to take on being the org admin for OBF this year.

Awesome & thanks for volunteering!

> Chris Fields and Rob Buels have promised to act as support, backup and conscience.

I'm happy to be asked as well or to chime in on difficult situations.

> Note that I view this role as being purely organisational and administrative. The difficult decisions will be made by OBF board members.

I'm not sure the Board would be the right body to make those decisions - some of its members aren't or have never been actively involved with GSoC, and so would have limited background.

So I think you should be prepared to make decisions, and that some of these may be difficult. You have common sense, empathy, and good judgment, so I don't see why that should make anyone concerned. It's easy when there's obvious consensus among the mentors, but when there isn't despite attempts to achieve it, someone will have to decide.

I might liken this to BOSC and the Board's relationship to the BOSC Committee Chair. While the Chair may ask the Board for advice, or the Board may ask the Chair to report status, it's the Chair who makes the decisions regarding BOSC, in consultation with others on the committee.

The Board does give a formal blessing to the BOSC Chair in public session, and if you would like us to start doing the same for the prospective GSoC admin, I'd support that and put it on the agenda for the next public Board meeting.

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :