[GSoC] coding period starting, set up project status blogs/pages

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Sun May 23 18:45:00 UTC 2010

Hi all,

As you are no doubt aware, the GSoC coding period begins tomorrow, May
24th.  Students should begin work on their projects tomorrow.

After some discussion on the OBF mentors mailing list, we've decided to
make it a requirement that all GSoC students maintain a public log of
progress updates for their project.  Requirements for these are listed
at the end of this email.  I will be monitoring these pages to make sure
students are on track.

Students, please have these set up, with at least one status update, by
next Sunday (May 29th).

Here's to a great summer of code.  This is OBF's first summer
participating, let's make it count!

Rob Buels
2010 OBF GSoC Administrator

======================================

Requirements for Student Progress Pages

======================================

1.) The page must be linked from both the OBF subproject's GSoC page
(for example, http://biojava.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code), and from
the main OBF GSoC page (http://open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code)
under the heading for your project that is already present there.

2.) The page can take any form, but must be either a new page on the
project's wiki, or be hosted on a free blogging service.  Example of
externally-hosted project blog: http://gsoc-biolib-libsequence.blogspot.com/

3.) Suggested frequency for posting new status updates is weekly, but
the hard minimum is one (very significant) update every two weeks.

Note: The OBF GSoC administrator will be monitoring these pages to make
sure that students projects are progressing adequately.