[GSoC] organization feedback

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Mar 19 14:20:47 UTC 2009

Hi all,

just for the records and for those interested, here's the feedback
from Leslie (who runs the program at Google's end) on our application
(this is verbatim from IRC on #gsoc): "good application, good ideas
list, hilmar does well and is experienced. we just cannot accept
everyone. i wish i had a more satisfying answer for you."

It's a pretty tough year to apply - Google is reducing the number of
accepted organizations compared to last year by more than 20, and in
addition they wanted to accept a few new ones, so a significant number
of orgs who participated last year would have had to be rejected
already. There were about 400 applying orgs, of which 150 got accepted.

So we didn't make it among the few new orgs, but achieving that was a
tall order to start with. It seems like we didn't make any mistake
that one can easily point at, but we also weren't lucky enough to rise
to one of the few spots given to new orgs.

On the positive side of things, I'm sure this application got us into
the books, and given the feedback on a positive note, and we can try
again and harder next year. The project ideas don't have to be for
naught; there are other organizations, such as NESCent, Perl
Foundation, and Python Foundation, that did get accepted and some of
which have already offered to host those in scope for their
participation. So if you want to make your project happen and it fits
underneath one of those (or you can make it fit), it's up to you now
to take charge of that.

Thanks to everyone who helped getting us in shape, I've enjoyed
putting this together and I'd be up for it again next year provided
everyone else is too.

BTW I'm going to make the archives of this list public now.

Cheers,

	-hilmar