[EMBOSS] PNG/GD graphics library issue whilst trying to install EMBOSS/Jemboss v6.3.1

Nigel Binns n.binns at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 13:42:33 UTC 2011

Hi Alan,

Many thanks. gd-devel-2.0.35-10.el6.x86_64.rpm is indeed available in
the Optional Server channel. Our RHN subscription permits us to access
it. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Again, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Nigel

On 03/06/2011 14:32, ajb at ebi.ac.uk wrote:
> I believe that gd-devel for RHEL6 can be obtained by subscribing to their
> 'optional' channel.
>
> Unfamiliarity with RHEL prevents me from saying how that is done
> but it could conceivably cost money.
>
> HTH
>
> Alan (on holiday so further replies unlikely until next week).
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting a warning message indicating that /usr/include/gd.h does not
>> exist on my system at the point in the Jemboss install script
>> (install-jemboss-server.sh) that refers to the libpng and gd libraries.
>> I confirmed that gd.h does not exist on our server with a system-wide
>> search. I'm attempting to install EMBOSS/Jemboss v6.3.1 onto a server
>> running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 Server 64-bit (fully patched). I
>> have confirmed that I have the following relevant RPMs installed:
>>
>> libpng-1.2.44-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>> libpng-devel-1.2.44-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>> gd-2.0.35-10.el6.x86_64.rpm
>>
>> On our system, the following files are located in the indicated
>> directories:
>> /usr/include/png.h
>> /usr/lib64/libpng.so (plus some other libpng files such as libpng12.so)
>> /usr/lib64/libgd.so.2
>>
>> A search via our Red Hat Network subscription indicates that there are
>> no other gd RPMs available, such as gd-devel.
>>
>> I've tried pointing the installation script at the /usr/lib64 directory
>> using the --with-pngdriver flag when requested, but this leads to
>> another warning saying that /usr/lib64/include/png.h does not exist.
>>
>> I appreciate that I could just compile and install the libpng and gd
>> libraries from the two project's websites (in fact I've confirmed that
>> gd.h is present in the gd-2.0.35.tar.gz distribution), however, I would
>> prefer that Jemboss used the distro-provided libraries, as these will be
>> updated automatically via its package management system.
>>
>> Many thanks for your help.
>>
>> Nigel
>>
>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.