[EMBOSS] Without X query. was: (no subject)

ajb at ebi.ac.uk ajb at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 31 22:03:56 UTC 2009

Hello Fernan,

I'm not sure I see your problem. To compile with X11 support
you neither edit the file nor add the --without-x switch.

The next release will allow you to control whether X11 is activated or
not by using the switch alone i.e. there will be no need to edit the
file.

It has been the case in the past that people with servers do want to
completely deactivate X11 and I understood that to be what you
required.

If your original meaning was that X11 wouldn't compile and you wanted X11
support then the mention of --without-x in the original query was
perhaps the cause of misunderstanding.

The cause of X11 not compiling, with the kind of error you described,
is usually because the X11 libraries have been installed but not
the X11 development (header files). After they have been installed
then you need to  perform the configuration step again and 'make clean'

As the latter problem  is becoming asked more frequently I've
altered the configuration for the next release such that,
if you haven't deselected X11 and if the X11 headers are missing then
the configuration process will terminate with a helpful message.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if you do require X11 and continue
to have problems compiling EMBOSS on FreeBSD.

HTH

Alan