[EMBOSS] mEMBOSS: Jemboss and proxy servers

E. Hack Ethan.Hack at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 08:28:01 UTC 2007

I have installed the new Windows mEMBOSS.  To use external databases, I
have to connect to the web via a proxy server.  When running EMBOSS
programs from a Windows command prompt, I can do this successfully using
the EMBOSS_PROXY environment variable.  With Jemboss, however, external
connections to databases give me a "socket connect failed" error
message, and I can't reach external help files either.

The default setting in my Java Control Panel is "Use browser settings".
I have tried changing this to "Use proxy server" and I have also tried
specifying the proxy server from inside Jemboss under Preferences -
Jemboss - Browser Proxies.  Neither of these methods seems to make any
difference.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what the problem might be. I
hope the question is an appropriate use of this mailing list and
apologise if it isn't.  I suspect the solution may be helpful to others
too (even it should be obvious...) - I don't think there's anything
particularly unusual about the way my computer is set up.

Ethan Hack

Dr Ethan Hack                           | E-mail: Ethan.Hack at ncl.ac.uk
School of Biology and Psychology        | Phone:  +44 191 222 8576
Newcastle University                    | Fax:    +44 191 222 5228
Newcastle upon Tyne  NE1 7RU, UK