[EMBOSS] libpng problems on Solaris 8, png.h version versus png.c version

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 30 21:59:36 UTC 2005

Built 3.0.0 today on solaris 8 with gcc 3.4.2.  Near as I can tell
the only libpng present is SMClpng from sunfreeware, version 1.2.4.
Yet when the graphics applications run and try to create a PNG
file it blows up with:

libpng warning:  Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.11
libpng warning:  Appication is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.4
gd-png:  fatal libpng error:  Incompatible libpng version in application
  and library.

The only png.h on the system in places where EMBOSS should find it
is from the aforementioned package and I checked, they are all version
1.2.4.  I checked that the binary wasn't left over from a previous
EMBOSS build.  I searched high and low for other png.h and found
nothing.  There was one other png.h in a GCG include directory but
EMBOSS shouldn't see that (/opt/gcg/gcgsource/include/png.h),
and in any case, it wasn't version 1.0.11.

Any other ideas where the "wrong" png.h might be coming from? I'm
guessing plplot.

These were run with

./configure --with-png

if that matters.