[EMBOSS] libpng problems on Solaris 8, png.h version versus png.c version

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 1 19:12:05 UTC 2005

> Hi David,
>
> a had similar trouble with this on Solaris.
> The best way to get a clean rebuild is to rerun the configure.
> Watch for the folowing lines in the configure output:

> checking if png driver is wanted... yes
> checking for inflateEnd in -lz... yes
> checking for png_destroy_read_struct in -lpng... yes
> checking for gdImageCreateFromPng in -lgd... yes
> PNG libraries found

> Unless you don't get "PNG libraries found" here, you are in trouble

That helped.  Sure enough it was failing the test at -lgd above.
I found 3, count them 3, different problems that were causing this:

1.  There was an older version of libpng in /usr/local/lib along
with the current one.  For completely incomprehensible reasons
that one was being used.  Removed it.

Then I tried to clear this problem by updating every
related bit of software on the platform (autoconf,m4,
automake,libtool,libpng, libgd,etc.).  None of that helped.
Actually it hurt since the more recent version of gd needed fontconfig
but happily installed without it.

Finally configure was run with 'set -x' and 'set +x' around
the problem code.  Then the test .c file was copied out during
.configure's run and built with the command line that .configure used.
This turned up the following:

2.  configure was not adding '-liconv' to the compile line so those
symbols were not found.

3.  the test for gd was dependent on libfontconfig and it wasn't
putting -lfontconfig on the command line.  Moreover, I didn't
even have this package installed.  Installed it with pkg-get (as
was libpng, and gd). freetype 2.1.10 was installed from source.

Solution for 2,3 was:

export LDFLAGS='-liconv -lfontconfig'
./configure

It still has some problem building in gui though:

"No rule to make traget `FileEditorDisplay.PopupListener.html', needed
by `all-am' Stop.

Maybe that has something to do with the fairly old Perl distro
on this system?  (5.6.1)

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu