[EMBOSS] using emma: where to put clustalw

Robin Colgrove robin at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 12 19:20:01 UTC 2005

Thanks to all for suggestions.
Just putting clustalw in /usr/local/bin did the trick.

Now, I need to figure out why emma/clustalw is giving me such bad
alignments.
Since I only had 4 sequences, I ended up aligning them pairwise with
needle, then pieced together the full alignment in vi, but this is not
going to fly as the number of sequences increases. The online tool I
use for quick alignments (
http://prodes.toulouse.inra.fr/multalin/multalin.html ) does fine, but
the same fasta file sent either to emma or directly to clustalw gives
obviously wrong alignments, even though the nucleotide sequences are
highly homologous.

thanks again

robin