[emboss-dev] [EMBOSS] list and label values

Peter Rice pmr at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 4 09:32:16 UTC 2008

Sebastien Moretti wrote:

> Don't you think that variables should be interpreted in values
> attributes by default ?
> I think it makes more sense.

This will be included in the next release.

It makes sense ... but it difficult for web interfaces and other GUIs so
we avoid using variables in the values for the applications in EMBOSS.
It is fine for your own applications.

> I can easily make this changes but it is not long term consistent if
> EMBOSS is updated, or if someone else uses my files.

No problem - the next EMBOSS release will include the changes.

> And I expected to be able to "print" Human during user choice but
> program parameter value would be $(matrixpath)/Hs.smat and not Human.

The program is passed the short name.

We will add a function in the next release to also return the
description. That way you can get the path variable into your program.

regards,

Peter