question about type gapany

Guy Bottu gbottu at ben.vub.ac.be
Thu Mar 3 18:51:03 UTC 2005

	Dear colleagues,

I just noticed a strange thing. The ACD file for emma contains :

  seqall: sequence  [
    parameter: "Y"
    type: "gapany"
  ]

I tried to replace "gapany" by "gap", so that the input sequences should
be degapped before the alignment procedure starts. I was surprised to get
an output file with unaligned sequences. As if the degapping was also
performed on the output instead of just on the input. Is this normal ?
I ask the question because I have developed programs that work like emma
an I was busy adding the "type" attributes, in order to improve them. Has
anybody already seen such behaviour ? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

	Regards,
	Guy Bottu