[EMBnet ADMIN] 64 bit & irix

David Martin david.martin at biotek.uio.no
Fri Feb 9 13:53:46 UTC 2001

OK, I'll try this.
I'll have to try to get 64 bit versions of the PNG libraries first.

..d

The admin guide will get updated in due course.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 jrvalverde at cnb.uam.es wrote:

> So, I finally had time to take a look at the configure script.
>
> It already contains a check for 64 bit irix compilation, and,
> when correctly used, generates the correct compilation scripts
> and makefiles. The problem is that it checks whether 64-bit is
> enabled _by default_, not whether it is available or has been
> user-selected.
>
> What ./configure does is create a trivial C file, compile it
> and check whether it is -o32, -n32 or -64, and then decide
> which compiler to use.
>
> Now, there is a simpler trick than the one I proposed: it all
> reduces to making the compiler/linker use the appropriate
> defaults _before_ running configure. For this:
>
> 	- remove gcc from your path
>
> 	- create a compiler.defaults file containing
>
> -DEFAULT:abi=64:isa=mips4:proc=r10k
>
> 	- define COMPILER_DEFAULTS_PATH
>
> setenv COMPILER_DEFAULTS_PATH `pwd`
>
> 	- run configure
>
> And that's it.
>
> Defining cc to be 'cc -64' and ld to be 'ld -64' and running
> configure dosn't work. In that case, the linker used is still
> the -n32 linker, and build fails with linking errors. You
> need to go the obscure trick way.
>
> One reason is configure hard codes the 'default' compilation
> method (which being default, it shouldn't need to) for the
> linker. Hence although if one aliases 'cc/gcc' to 64bit,
> it will still hardcode ld to be the default 'ld -32'. Should
> it just use "cc/gcc" and "ld" only, this wouldn't happen as
> defaults would be carried all along, this way the explicit
> flag overrides the aliases. So unless you get the explicit
> flags right by using the above trick, it won't work.
>
> BTW, this mess seems to happen (from what I gather looking at
> ./configure) only on IRIX. Makes sense, since that's probably
> the only system too that tries to maintain three incompatible
> binary systems defaulting compilation to 32 bits in 64 bit
> machines (sigh).
>
> On a side note: it won't work for gcc: the -64 test in configure
> is only used if the compiler is 'cc'. No check for --mabi=64
> seems to be present. For gcc I suspect one will need to run
> ./configure and then substitute all instances of 'gcc' by
> 'gcc --mabi=64' and of 'ld -n32' by 'ld -64'. Haven't tested
> though. Or configure as above with system cc and later alias
> cc to gcc --mabi=64.
>
> BTW, David, might you update the trick you added to the admin
> guide? Thanks.

*  Dr. David Martin                  Biotechnology Centre of Oslo   *
*  Node Manager                      Gaustadalleen 21               *
*  The Norwegian EMBNet Node         P.O. box 1125 Blindern         *
*  tel +47 22 84 05 35               N-0317 Oslo                    *
*  fax +47 22 84 05 01               Norway                         *
I will be leaving the Norwegian EMBnet node on 23rd February.
All work related mail should be addressed to admin at embnet.uio.no where
my successor, Rune Groven will deal with it.
All personal email should be sent to dmartin at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk from whence
it will be automatically forwarded to me.
Spam should continue to be sent to /dev/null