Proposal: new menu layout, with examples

Peter Rice peter.rice at uk.lionbioscience.com
Mon Apr 30 17:39:23 UTC 2001

James Bonfield wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 06:17:46PM +0100, Peter Rice wrote:
> > How about 'section' and 'endsection' ?
>
> Agreed.
>
> What about the attributes?

We also, of course, have the name which follows the 'section:')

> At present I've got:
>
> type       A choice between "frame" and "page".

Tricky to test a list of values. frame:Y would be simpler, but we should
add controlled vocabulary types some time (see 'side' below).

> info       A heading for the frame or page. Defaults to ""
>            A page without a heading would look rather odd, but a frame
>            without a heading is OK - it's just a bordered block.

OK. Can also be used to prompt interactive users (e.g. "Gap penalties:"
before prompting for the gap penalty values). Or we could have a separate
'prompt' for this, and use 'info' in the -help output (tricky though -
qualifiers will be in sections but also in required/optional/advanced
groupings so maybe -help should be left alone)

> book       Only needed for type:frame.
>            The notebook to associate this page to. Defaults to "", which
>            implies all pages are part of the same notebook. This is only
>            needed if a program wishes to make use of more than one tabbed
>            notebook, in which case this is used to determine which book a
>            page is within.

Can we pick a more general name for this?

> border     Only needed for type:frame. Defaults to 1.
>            The border width of the frame.

OK.

> side       Only needed for type:frame. Defaults to top.
>            This is used for 'frame packing'. It is only needed if we wish
>            to express complex layout designs. Eg:

Looks like another controlled vocabulary. Also, looks like I can think of
uses for it.

Peter