[DAS2] DAS URI resolvability

Gregg Helt gregghelt at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:17:15 UTC 2008

Sorry, I think I confused the issue again -- I seem to be on a terminology
abuse binge.  I used "addressable" and "addressability" in referring to URIs
when I should have used "identifiable" and "identifiability".  Please
mentally do s/addressable/identifiable/g and
s/addressability/identifiability/g on everything I've written in the past
week...

I think you and I are in agreement as far as whether DAS URIs should be
resolvable.  Quoting myself from a previous thread I forwarded to the list
last night (with terminology corrections applied):

In general as part of a spec revision (DAS 2.1?) I'd like to eliminate more
of the resolvability requirements in the specification, and specify that
most URIs be used as identifiers with _optional_ resolvability.  After two
years of working with the current spec I've come to believe that for most
cases requiring resolvable URIs is not necessary, places added burden on
server implementations, and limits the ability to do non-authoritative
decentralized annotation.

The spec can be stripped down so that the only URI references required to be
resolvable are those specified by the "query_uri" attribute of the
CAPABILITIES element.

The only problematic part in the DAS/2 annotation retrieval spec would be
the segment URIs.  The current spec needs these to be resolvable as that's
the mechanism used to retrieve residues for a particular segment/sequence.
But I think this could be revised without too much implementation overhead
to merge residues retrieval and the segments query to make something more
like a hybrid of the DAS2.0 segments and DAS1.53 sequence queries.

       Gregg